You do not have to wait 24 hours to report someone missing. It is not wasting police time to report someone missing. We are here to protect you and your loved ones.

Your report will be dealt with by our control room in exactly the same way whether you report it online or call 101. You will get an email confirming that we've got your report and telling you what will happen next. And you may find it easier to answer the questions online at your own pace.

Before you start to fill in a missing person form, we will ask you a few questions to make sure reporting them missing online is the right thing to do.

Advice tool

Report a person missing outside of the UK who does not live in the UK

The local police in the country the person is missing in are responsible for investigating when someone goes missing abroad. What the local police will do varies widely from country to country.

The UK police can sometimes get involved when UK citizens go missing abroad. If a UK citizen who lives abroad goes missing abroad, you can report them missing to the police force for anywhere in the UK where their family lives.

You should also contact the Foreign and Commonwealth Office (FCO) for help.