Find out below how to apply for or renew a firearm, shotgun or explosives certificate. Whether you’re a firearm owner, firearm dealer, shooting club member or planning to travel with firearms, answer a few quick questions and we’ll guide you to the right form and everything you need to complete it.

Coronavirus (Covid-19)

We are accepting renewal applications for shotgun, firearms or explosives certificates online only. This is due to home visits no longer being possible, following government guidance on the need for social distancing. Processing times will take a little longer than usual. We thank you for your patience and ask you not to contact the Firearms Licensing Team unless urgent or necessary.

Advice tool

Apply for a certificate to travel with a firearm from the UK to a country outside the EU

How do I apply?

Please contact the British embassy, consulate or high commission in that country. They'll be able to advise you on the necessary steps.

Please also consult with your airline and travel company to make sure you comply with all of their security requirements.