If you're collecting for charity in London you may need a licence. The Met is the licensing authority for all charity collections that involve fundraisers going house-to-house, whether that's for cash, direct debits or clothing.

We also license street collections of cash, but not where fundraisers are collecting direct debits. Those types of collection are managed by the Institute of Fundraising.

Answer a few quick questions below to find out if you need a charity collection licence, what kind you need and how to apply.

Advice tool

I'm collecting for a local group over a period shorter than 14 days

Thank you. You'll need a local certificate of exemption.

You can apply for this at the police station in the borough where you plan to collect.

You'll need to take the following information with you:

  • contact details for your charity
  • the event date, time and location 

Police station finder

Location search controls

Find the police station in the area where you plan to collect


Showing results for